Genetic Engineering & Synthetic Biology
When & Where
About the Event
Study unit 5: Genetic Engineering
- Early technologies used for the genetic engineering of microbes, plants and animals
- The mechanisms of the new-generation genome editing tools;
- The natural role and mechanism of CRISPR/Cas9 as an immune system in bacteria;
- Ethical considerations in applying genome editing;
- Applications of CRISPR/Cas9 in medical, industrial and agricultural industries.
Study unit 6: Synthetic Biology
- The description, history and magnitude of synthetic biology
- Concepts and methods in synthetic biology
- Applications of synthetic biology, including reprogramming simple genetic circuits, metabolic engineering, production of novel antibiotics and gene drives.
Meet your Tutor: Jess Winn
I’m Jess and my current focus is on completing my honours degree in Genetics, but I have many other passions too and aspirations for the future.
I love adventuring, creating and challenging myself to try new things. I am happiest when I am surrounded by nature, with the people I love, chilling with my dogs, or cooking up a storm in the kitchen creating delectable plant-based meals. I realise that it can be challenging to give everything else that is important to you the attention it deserves while trying to crush your degree, but I truly believe that to pave your way to a successful career it is critical to nurture all aspects of your life. My hope as a tutor is to make this a little bit more achievable.
I am passionate about showing others how exciting Genetics is and how it is at the forefront of so many fields. There are moments in undergrad when the work seems tedious and irrelevant but I like to think of it as a right of passage that allows you to ‘unlock’ the next phase where you can begin to actually add onto this knowledge with your own work. I have always taken my degree seriously and I like to think that I have some very helpful tips
Did I mention I was the top achiever in the final exam?
- Early BirdZAR 350+ZAR 8.75 Service feeZAR 350+ZAR 8.75 Service fee0ZAR 0
- Genetics, UnlockedZAR 375+ZAR 9.38 Service feeZAR 375+ZAR 9.38 Service fee0ZAR 0